Hello to all the GATE Civil Engineering aspirants out there. GATE School is up with their next article for you. So, In this article we will share with you the syllabus, a strategy to prepare for GATE, the frequently asked questions. Also, difficult topics in GATE Civil Engineering Exam.
Also, You can find the syllabus for GATE Civil Engineering 2017 on this link.
Furthermore, The syllabus for GATE General Aptitude 2017 here.
Let’s start off with looking the at weightage of every subject in the GATE Civil Engineering paper:
|Strength of Materials||8%|
We will now move on to discuss the important and frequently asked topics from these subjects.
- Geo-Technical Engineering: Soil Mechanics (Consolidation, Permeability, Slope Stability, Index properties) Foundation Design, Concrete Technology are the important topics in this.
- Environmental Engineering: Important topics here include quality standards, domestic wastewater treatment and air pollution meteorology.
- Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics: Important topics include fluid statics, kinematics, dynamics, laminar-turbulent flow, pipe flow, open channel flow hydraulics
- Transportation Engineering: Highway Engineering, Transportation Infrastructure,Geometric design of railway track are some of the important topics.
- Concrete Structures: Working stress, Limit state and Ultimate load design concepts; Design of beams, Bond and development length; Pre-stressed concrete are some of the important topics.
- Hydrology & Irrigation: Important topics include Hydrologic cycle, ground water hydrology -steady state well hydraulics,Canal regulatory works and cross-drainage structures.
- Mechanics: System of forces, free-body diagrams and Euler’s equations of motion are considered important.
- Structural Mechanics: Important topics include statically determinate and indeterminate structures by force/ energy methods, Method of superposition and Analysis of trusses.
- Steel Structures: Working stress and Limit state design concepts; Design of tension and compression members, Connections – simple and eccentric and Plastic analysis of beams and frames are considered as the important topics.
- Surveying: Important topics include basics of Geographical information system (GIS) and Geographical Positioning system (GPS).
Also, We would encourage you to formulate a study plan for yourself so that you remain productive throughout your preparation phase. So, You can refer this article which will help you Prepare a Study Plan for Yourself.
So, Follow us on Facebook for more such articles. Also, Drop off comments in the section below in case you need any guidance or assistance.