The topics in Structural Analysis for GATE Civil Engineering Exam include the following topics:
- Analysis of statically determinate trusses
- Cables and Frames
- Displacements in statically determinate structures and analysis of statically indeterminate structures by force/ energy methods
- Analysis by displacement methods (slope deflection and moment distribution methods)
- Influence lines for determinate and indeterminate structures
- Basic concepts of matrix methods of structural analysis
Important and difficult topics in Structural Analysis for GATE Civil Engineering include:
- Deflection of Beams
- Kinematic & Static Indeterminacy
- SFD & BMD
- Moment Distribution Method
- Combined Stress
Good resources for Structural Analysis are listed below:
- Theory of Structures/ Analysis of Structure by S. Ramamurtham, L.S. Negi & Jangit, Gupta & Pandit, C.S. Reddy
- Strength of Materials /Mechanics of Structure : B.C. Punamia, Gare & Timoshenko, E.Popove, L. Singer
While these books are amazing to understand the concepts if you have less time for GATE preparation, I wouldn’t recommend them to you. You should study in such a manner which will help you understand the concept in a short span of time. The best way to do this will be to get well prepared notes and study them. But the problem that can arise here is the understanding of the notes. If someone else has prepared some notes, it may be difficult to understand parts of it. In this case you should either be able to ask the person directly, who made the notes or prepare these notes yourself, but maybe with someone’s help to quicken the process.
Tips to prepare for GATE in a short span of time:
You can opt for a personal tutor or an Online Coaching class in this case. A personal tutor will help you prepare notes, study plan and give you a very personalised training which can prove to be highly beneficial. An Online Coaching class can rank over this if they are able to provide you with a better teacher than you get as a personal tutor. It may be easier to find a qualified professor at an Online Coaching than as a personal tutor, and this is one thing you can keep in mind.
Decide what works best for you and study hard!
Meanwhile you can have a look at a video that I have added here, which according to me is of a very good quality. The professor is highly qualified and a trainer at GATE School Online Course.
Along with high quality video lectures, GATE School offers personal mentorship to every student who enrols for the course.
For much such information follow us on Facebook and keep yourself updated. In case of need of any guidance or assistance drop by a comment in the section below.