Electromagnetics for GATE ECE preparation is now made easy by GATE School. We are up with our next article to help out all GATE ECE aspirants. The flow of this article will include the syllabus, important topics, good resources and finally some tips for all the aspirants.
The syllabus for Electromagnetics for GATE ECE 2017 was:
- Maxwell’s equations: differential and integral forms and their interpretation, Boundary conditions, Wave equation, Poynting vector
- Plane waves and properties: reflection and refraction, polarization, phase and group velocity, propagation through various media, skin depth;
- Transmission lines: equations, characteristic impedance, impedance matching, impedance transformation, S-parameters, Smith chart
- Waveguides: modes, boundary conditions, cut-off frequencies, dispersion relations
- Antennas: antenna types, radiation pattern, gain and directivity, return loss, antenna arrays
- Basics of radar; Light propagation in optical fibers
Important topics in Electromagnetics for GATE ECE:
- Electrostatics, EM waves
- Transmission Lines
- Waveguides and Antennas
- Maxwell Equation
- Boundary Condition
Good resources to prepare Electromagnetics for GATE ECE:
- Principles of Electromagnetics by Mathew N.O. Sadiku
- Electromagnetic Waves and Radiating Systems by Edward C. Jordon, Keith G. Balmain
- Antenna & Wave Propagation by Prasad
Tips to prepare Electromagnetics for GATE ECE and why students find this subject difficult?
Here, The concepts in this subject are difficult to understand and to add to that one can go on studying this subject endlessly. So,What would be better would be to collate a set of topics which have been focused on GATE and start off with clearing those concepts. So, You can certainly start off with the topics mentioned in the section above. Then , continue on to solve as many past year papers as possible which will help you get a better idea about how the questions are asked in this topic.
However, if you have less time for preparation then getting external help will probably be better. Hence, This is because reading the entire course material, understanding and collating materials for self preparation is undeniably a time consuming process. So, In such a case a friend, senior or a personal tutor can be of good help. Hence, This is because it will fasten your understanding process, doubt clearance and practice test score analysis. So, Remember that practice test score analysis is an important aspect as it will keep on giving you a realistic picture about your performance and will also highlight your strong and weak topics.
Also,You may also want to consider an Online Course which can prove to be equally efficient when it comes to saving of time in understanding concepts and getting personalized help. Have a look at one of our videos which teach electromagnetics here:
Also,Follow us on Facebook to keep receiving notifications of more such posts. So, In case of need of any guidance or assistance drop by a comment in the section below.
Best of luck!